Friday, April 11, 2008

Punishment for 3 days.

For 3 days I was not able to access my system with my ID.

I kinda circumvented the problem by allowing remote root ssh to my machine(which is criminal).

The problem was this:
root@shantanu>ssh sg202516@shantanu
Password:
Last login: Fri Apr 11 17:19:51 2008 from shantanu
NO LOGINS: System going down in 30 seconds
Connection to shantanu closed.
root@shantanu>

Untill today I was ok with it, but I could not access my screen sessions remotely.

So finally decided to debug it.

The issue was the presence of a file called /etc/nologin

root@shantanu>cat /etc/nologin
NO LOGINS: System going down in 30 seconds

Removing the file solves the crap.

With a feeling of achievement I told my neighbor about this.

The reply came back "Check the date of the creation of the file. It should be Apr 8th. You had not locked the system!!!"

Related Old link:http://dinchari.blogspot.com/2006/07/assholes-learn-this-way_27.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

how did u set it up for remote root ssh logins without getting a login? by loggin thru the system console? (want to know if system console is given login) and u guys have solaris for desktops too???

Shantanu said...

1)
i had to enable root login on my desktop manually(as in not remotely)
by editing the /etc/sshd/sshd_config file .
yeah could have as well connected using console.

2) Yeah we use Solaris on our desktops.